« Home | In,Or Out: X Men 3 » | Slow going and fresh beginnings.. » | Whew... » | Coming soon.... » | Darn....depression slumps.. » | Quote of the day... » | Testing a little geography.... » | London and explosians....Blimey » | Everyone lies.... » | Money for nothing and hot girls for free... » 

June 01, 2006 

In,Or Out: Books and readers...

Ever wonder why some people read loads of books and others just don't bother? And I'm talking about novels be it fiction or non-fiction, not those that you have to study for exams.


For me, I was definitely in the nerd/geek department. I still remember my primary school days, where I always sit at the back of the class reading a science fiction novel or fantasy book, either a Forgotten Realms, Star Wars, Raymond E. Feist and David Eddings. As a matter of fact, I still keep up with those books nowadays 12 years later when I have the time. To me its always a pleasure to escape into the realm of imagination. Although nowadays its more of Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy and Lee Child. (I refuse to mention Dan Brown; thats just a bandwagon)


Anyhow, remember there was a survey done some time back saying that the average Malaysian only reads about 2 pages of a book A YEAR! When I first read that I couldn't believe it, comparing myself at the age of 15, consuming loads of books per year depending on my pocket money and the availability of old paperbacks from 2nd hand bookstores.


But today, it still eludes me why the average Malaysian reads so little. No time, no interest etc all seem to be the most common excuse I hear but somehow, I just can't get it. But then, I'm just 23 years old, what do I know?