« Home | Life... » | .... » | Electricity.... » | At long last.... » | Euro 2004.... » | Mel no Hibi!!? » | OBG postings...just a note... » | Epidemic season again... » | Psycho thrillers... » | Exams exams... » 

July 18, 2004 

Psychiatric postings...

Hmmm...

Psychiatry posting is quite surprising sometimes. You never really know what you are going to see...

Just a couple days back, we had a good chance to observe a schizophrenic proper patient. It was interesting during the initial interview because she kept talking and muttering to herself whist her mother, who was also attenting, tried to hush her up each time.This was frustating for the doctor on duty as she was trying to explain to us the classical symptoms of a schizophrenic case.

Not only that, I also got to see my first ECT (Electroconvulsice Therapy) session. This is where a patient is given a sedative and is held down while 2 electrodes are applied and the "shock therapy" begins. Damn, it was wierd. Anyway, I found out later thatECT's are only observable in this place, as we are not allowed to see it back home.

Oh well.... 
 

About me


  • I'm Melvyn
  • From KL, Malaysia
  • I like to think I'm witty, funny and humourous....then again, that could be my MPD speaking...who knows?
My profile
Google
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates